My photo
Hi! I’m so thrilled you are here! Let’s be friends. I live for friendship and adventure! I'm Riley and I'd love to hear from you. I think this is where I’m supposed to be witty and cute about trendy things, but I have no experience with coffee, wine is gross, and I have no dogs. I know, what’s wrong with me? I’m seriously just showing up with my best yes offering my story as my worship and creating space for others to do the same. I'll try not to use too many exclamation points!!! ..but I'll start keeping that promise a little later. I believe we can live our days fully awake, full of truth, and full of beauty. I believe our stories are filled with the voice and presence of our creator and as we explore them we meet him in a brand new way. Join me on the bravest adventure into truth and uncover the mystery for your life.

It's Time for the Kitchen Reveal!!

Exasperated sigh.  Desperation. Please tell me it’s almost over!  The past 2 weeks the reality of renovating a house has hit fully.  I will just get very real here and share that we have struggled.  The renovation in isolation has gone really well and I honestly can say we have enjoyed the process.  However, it all started with pink eye. And it basically crashed from there.  Here’s the story.

I don’t know about you, but when my kids have something on their face or a splinter or a loose tooth I just can’t stop myself from bothering them! I think I missed my calling to be a surgeon. Man, if I had listened to the Lord’s call more carefully we could be paying someone more qualified to do all of this work, but we would be missing all the fun, so I suppose we will continue.  To the point, the 2 year old got pink eye first.  Of course, it was Saturday morning in Lowes when I noticed it spring (or ooze) out of nowhere! How embarrassing! So sorry to the few people we ran into who I waved away by swinging large circular caution arms with a sad face begging for pity..and forgiveness.  Thank you for continuing to be my friend.  I will confess I didn’t leave Lowes without my paint, so the pink eye epidemic that has run rampant through this city is all my fault.  The house had to be painted! Right? Don’t answer that.


I can't make my kid sit still even in the doctor's office. 


We used honey as eye drops all weekend to fight the nasties but finally couldn’t wait any longer for it to heal, caved, and started on our 2016 deductible.  On a side note, I do believe if you had the time to persist, the honey could be really effective. Next the husband got a stomach bug, then a dreadful cold, then it was his turn for pink eye. Then the 2 year old got pink eye AGAIN. We just passed the drops around for all! And then a vicious virus/cold struck the 2 kids and me and still won’t let go!  So those are just normal things. I get it, but on Wednesday my 2 year old fell while attempting a really spectacular sledding trick during the snow storm and broke his leg.  Actually, he fell while vacuuming and he really did break his leg.  I have no explanation, but he will be in this cast for 4 weeks.  He wore a temporary splint for 1 week due to the snow storm, so if meeting our deductible was a new year’s resolution we got a good start! 




 The next day my husband’s back quit working and we aren’t sure when it’s going to jump back on board.  Still waiting.  Sincerely, it is heart crushing and spirit draining for him and for all of us who love him.  He pours out all he has and generously serves his family.  I just don’t understand why he has to endure this.  Doesn’t it seem like someone who is such a hard worker with over the top ambition should have a strong, capable body?  His mind is stunning and his heart tender. I love him to pieces.  I want so much to restore all that he needs so he can be all that he dreams of. I just can’t fix it. In fact, I can’t do anything to make him feel better.  Over and over I give it to his Father who cares for him in the best way and I trust that He will provide for Joshua with capable hands.  I have unending hope and assurance that God is actively working on Joshua’s behalf and uniquely crafts the details of his life for a bigger plan.  I believe, and I say it to increase my belief, that God’s plan for Joshua is grand and significant.  We have no idea how that looks but we anticipate the future and will look above the waves.  Please pray for him as we wait for treatment options for his back. I am astounded how God has filled in the blanks with so. many. friends. helping in every way imaginable. I will share more about that later.  





In the meantime, really exciting news at the Stinkbug Reno that I am thrilled to share with you! It is time for BIG reveals!!!! We are moving this week! We still have a long way to go so I would love to continue to share the details as we progress, but we have to get out of our current house so HERE WE GO!

Flooring was a huge project!  We chose a new and improved bamboo floor from Lumber Liquidators.  It is extremely durable and just stunning.  I have referenced our previous renovation before.  We added on to an old bungalow a master suite and a 2 car garage.  In our master bedroom we used a natural colored bamboo, but had to be very careful because it was so soft.  The heels of my shoes imprinted in the floor, so we were definitely avoiding that product this time.  Well the flooring expert at Lumber Liquidators was extremely patient and informative that Black Friday evening when we shopped with high hopes for glam and a steal.  We got both when she encouraged us to try bamboo again by scraping the bamboo with scissors and banging it against a block of wood to demonstrate its strength.  Plus, if it scratches we can just use a sharpie to fill in! SOLD! Anything I can repair with Sharpie is my kind of product.  In fact, the floors were so hard that they were pretty difficult to install.  Again, we are so so thankful for the hours our friends have given to help.





Conversation between Nathan and Joshua as they attempt to rig a $300 tool with cardboard to make it fit our apparently exclusive flooring choice.  After the tool is recreated and put back together:
Nate sees an extra part: We don’t have this in there yet do we?
Joshua: Nope, do we need it?
 DIY ain’t got nothing on these master minds! 
The tool fixed and used with ease: “Oh baby I love life right now!” 
Joy is found in finding easy and fast methods! Lots of trips to Lowes and really good friends makes it all better!  Drum roll: the floor is installed!!!!!!!!


 Many late nights spent but always with good company.

This picture includes the doorknobs because you learn that every detail is important and a special friend installed these for us.  I cherish them!

The finished bonus room. 





First comes floors, then comes….KITCHEN!!!!!

Our countertops arrive Monday but I’m anxious to show you the good stuff. You’re welcome!!!

This is one project we did not DIY! Let the professionals have some fun too!  We chose a crisp, white shaker cabinet with bright white walls for clean and fresh.  My cabinet designer said I look at too much Pinterest. Everything I asked for was very “custom”, but he was so patient and helped me maximize the space with as many drawers as possible and fill it with storage! I was shocked to realize this kitchen is in fact larger than the one I’m leaving. 
 A sample of the countertops. Eek! 

Cabinets were installed then the appliances were delivered so I’ll show you all at once.  Please scream in unison with me!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! OMG, have you seen the inside of this oven??? Have you ever? I’m a bit excited about it.  I am a liners girl. I buy all things based on the liner: bags, pants, journals,and OVENS!  Who knew? But when I saw it I died and Joshua knew that it was the oven we were taking home.  Oh baby!  Thank you Jesus for Black Friday! And thank you Lowes.  And thank you Joshua for knowing me so well.  (Remember this was a red carpet house so that was my award winning speech)





Every detail is a bit much, but so many hours have gone into the small details.  Thousands of nails, hundreds of trips to the dumpster, sweeping or vacuuming every night, baseboards and quarter round installed, caulking galore, and more painting.  Lighting has been installed, duct work has been cleaned, HVAC units have been serviced, blinds hung, house pressured washed, trees pulled, yard bush hogged…the list is endless and we are starting to really see the fruits.  Please stop by and see us soon!!! I promise we won’t make you work!  

Comments

Popular Posts