My photo
Hi! I’m so thrilled you are here! Let’s be friends. I live for friendship and adventure! I'm Riley and I'd love to hear from you. I think this is where I’m supposed to be witty and cute about trendy things, but I have no experience with coffee, wine is gross, and I have no dogs. I know, what’s wrong with me? I’m seriously just showing up with my best yes offering my story as my worship and creating space for others to do the same. I'll try not to use too many exclamation points!!! ..but I'll start keeping that promise a little later. I believe we can live our days fully awake, full of truth, and full of beauty. I believe our stories are filled with the voice and presence of our creator and as we explore them we meet him in a brand new way. Join me on the bravest adventure into truth and uncover the mystery for your life.

Life and Reno is NOT Balanced!


 It's Christmas!!!  We found a few minutes to sing, serve, have a piano recital, and watch the parade!


 

 






Week 1 of the Stinkbug Reno was spent clearing out the old and beginning to face the reality that WE ARE MOVING…to the Stinkbug Reno. People keep asking things like, “is this an upgrade?” or “are you moving for more space?” hinting that they think we are crazy. My answers are vague…”not exactly”.  Nonetheless this house is a gift from the Lord.  There are brief moments where I feel slightly embarrassed, but I have full confidence in our vision and Joshua’s abilities to craft the finest details. At this point (I'm a few weeks ahead and know what's happening! ha) I am fully convinced this home is going to be wonderful.






Week 1 and 2 many laughs were shared and the soreness has started to set in.  All of the carpet with all of the staples is pulled out and added to the massive dumpster parked in our front yard, gathering rain water in addition to pounds and pounds of trash.  



 We haven't added the lights yet!

The columns are gone creating a really nice open flow. 


Kacie working her bootie off on the first day of Christmas break! 

Oh ma goodness! He's mine!

Yep I did that all by myself!!! 




Day 2 of the renovation Joshua and I are starting to feel real country (my Florida friends, you need to add some drawl to your speech at this point).  You wouldn’t think moving from inside the neighborhood out would make a difference but out of nowhere Joshua uncharacteristically says “we need chickens!”  What else does our future hold?  Maybe some bees!


My personal project of scraping ceilings has begun and it lasted and lasted and lasted.  I would tell you to your face that this project isn’t too bad, but Joshua has reminded me that on several occasions I said, “I think I’m dying!” in the most dramatic whine you can imagine.  Honestly, it isn’t that bad. The popcorn scraped right off the ceiling, just like it was supposed to.  I used an outdoor sprayer to soak the popcorn first, then used a wide metal scraper that you would use for mudding drywall to scrape off the texture.  I did steal that scraper from the drywall prep kit (sorry husband for when you actually need to work on drywall).   The brutality came when I had to use a mesh sander on a long handle to sand the remaining dust off the ceilings.  It just took a lot of energy, but luckily that stuff recharges on a regular basis! Don’t ask me to give up Dr. Pepper during this reno. I don’t care if it is Jan 1. I completely ignored the commencement of a new year for this go round.  I have zero resolutions.  Finish reno is the goal. 

I learned it is best to really soak the popcorn and scrape as cleanly and thoroughly as possible to avoid as much sanding as possible.  I also found that long, even strokes prevented tearing the paper. I did bump into the tape on the seams some, but the crown molding will hide those errors.  Wear goggles!

Of course, always work with a buddy, but try not to drop drywall on his head.

Ta-da!! This is the master bedroom ceiling.  I think we will really appreciate this project even though it created quite a mess.  

Helpers to clean up is a must and add so much joy, until they knock a giant hole in the wall (I might include that story next week).




While I was suffering through my intense contribution..

Joshua (with so much good help!) built a new room, 




tore down a kitchen wall, 



moved electrical, 



and removed kitchen cabinets.




 And I scraped, scraped, scraped.  




He closed in the hallway that lead to a 2nd entrance to our master bedroom and used two closets to create a new powder room off the kitchen.  I am extremely excited about this! We have always wanted a powder room for guests so they wouldn’t have to face the boys’ infested bathroom when visiting.  Now the boys will be able to ‘aim’ and spread toothpaste to their own delight! 



I was surprised with a delivery of wood boards by a friend that we decided to use for the walls of the powder room. I’m still in awe at the timing of that delivery and the pure gift of it. Sigh.  It wasn’t as easy as it sounds to create a wall of shiplap. Our house didn’t have shiplap hiding under drywall.  Joshua had to strip nails and rip each piece of wood to achieve a cohesive and uniform look.  I am so proud of him and constantly amazed by his dig in deep perseverance.  I know his work will be gorgeous!


Meanwhile at home Christmas is coming and desperate moments were spent online trying to make it happen!  I’m always amazed at how it works out year after year.  This year was especially fun and moments were enjoyed with family.  We rested and devoted two whole days to family! For each day of December, counting down to Christmas Day, we opened a box with an activity inside.  Well Happy, our beloved Italian Mastiff, was becoming quite restless with our busyness and decided to start eating anything and everything available.  I guess negative attention is better than none.  So one day I walked in the door after work (my real job), while I was talking on the phone with my mom, when I freaked out with frustration because the dog had eaten several of our advent boxes.  When my mom asked what was inside I answered, “acts of kindness” practically in tears.  Well those acts of kindness weren’t for him and grace was hard to find! Life and reno balance has been hard to find. We didn't get to open boxes but we continued to do acts of kindness!

He must have enjoyed the acts of kindness more than he expected because he returned for more cardboard another day!



Have I mentioned we are potty training through this? Why not, right?  If you can learn to pee pee in the potty during a reno you can do anything!!  

Potty trainee, as mentioned, realized he could lean back and get real cozy. He's snoring and pretending to sleep.

Comments

Popular Posts