My photo
Hi! I’m so thrilled you are here! Let’s be friends. I live for friendship and adventure! I'm Riley and I'd love to hear from you. I think this is where I’m supposed to be witty and cute about trendy things, but I have no experience with coffee, wine is gross, and I have no dogs. I know, what’s wrong with me? I’m seriously just showing up with my best yes offering my story as my worship and creating space for others to do the same. I'll try not to use too many exclamation points!!! ..but I'll start keeping that promise a little later. I believe we can live our days fully awake, full of truth, and full of beauty. I believe our stories are filled with the voice and presence of our creator and as we explore them we meet him in a brand new way. Join me on the bravest adventure into truth and uncover the mystery for your life.

Saying Good-Bye

Growing up I was never attached to a house. My dad was in the Air Force so we moved at least every 3 years. We didn't have any other family nearby so we clung to each other.  Home was with my family. One year we moved on Halloween and went to see a movie together.  Another time my mom dared to move before us. We barely survived so we had to move early to be with her or we wouldn't have eaten. My dad could not make toast without smoking up the apartment. My brother, Tyler, and I played with each other a lot. Road trips were filled with hours of bicycle in a crowded backseat. Halls were meant for sleeping bags. Backyards had dirt holes for Tonka trucks. Rocks were for making big bellies. Cinder block walls were to be climbed. Railroad tracks were for leading the way away from home when mom wasn't looking. We did it together. But the house was just a house and many were left behind as one adventure lead to another. As the years passed the houses improved. We started in base housing and shared a room.  It was decorated in bright yellow and clowns!  Eventually we owned our houses and got to paint walls bright teal and hot pink.  We built bike tracks in the yard. Whatever it was, it lasted about 3 years and then was gone.  Truly, my full confidence was in the 4 of us being together.  I treasure these years deep in my heart and sometimes wish I could share the experience of moving with my children.  

My mom gave this dog tag to my dad for their anniversary one year and I think of this gift often.  I don't remember my mom ever complaining about moving.  She held our family together in a beautiful way. No one had to teach me that home was with my family but I knew because my parents always made being together a priority.  
























Now it's my turn to create Home for my family. We don't anticipate leaving Anderson, but we still desire for the boys to know that home is with each other.  On Sunday God's timing was perfect as Kris Kilgore shared home is a safe place to develop and be. A place of rest. While my lesson was learned as a child to lean on the people and not the structure or the city, I do find myself comforted by the familiar and the belonging in my home with Joshua. We brought our first baby boy home from the hospital to the house Joshua bought from his great grandmother. We stayed there longer than I had ever stayed anywhere and we put our hearts and souls into every detail of that house.  It held many memories for him from his childhood, which are precious to both of us.  When it was time to go, Joshua found me sobbing in Grey's closet.  Now it is time to leave another place we've invested in as a family. In this house, we welcomed home our second baby boy so it also holds a deep piece of our hearts. The door trim charts our boys' growth from our years here. The long wall is streaked with fingerprints from scooter rides. The tree is shaped from hours of play.  Precious prints are stamped in the concrete.  I know Home is where we are, but I would like to celebrate the time we have spent together here by sharing our last Christmas.  Each detail within is something I want to cherish forever.    

As we journey to our next house I may share a few things about the one we are telling good-bye.  

This year we had to keep things simple since we would be showing it to sell.  Even Everette, our spirit filled elf who teaches about grace, participated in Operation Keep the House Clean.  He didn't make any messes.  Each night he hid 4 nutcrackers for the boys to find the next day.  We had a lot of fun with it and even lost one of the nutcrackers for several days! Wow he was good at hiding.  

The train under this tree was a gift and it has been a dream.  I don't doubt a bit that the train is what the boys remember about Christmas when they get older.  They have played with it for hours, even inviting super heroes, snakes, and nutcrackers to the fun!




I just couldn't help myself. I had to put up the small cluster of trees too. They are my favorite detail.  Isn't it sad when Christmas comes down and the house is so bare?  I think I will leave a few wreaths up in the house for winter this year.



The ah-mazing sled was my birthday present this year!!!! My nana scouted that one out especially for me.  I was pretty impressed and so excited to get it placed exactly where it belongs. I have terrible handwriting and had to erase and try again about 25 times before I was content with the chalkboard, but it shares such good news. The richness and wonder of Christmas this year has brought joy to me in a new way.  I've spent a lot of time considering life without the birth of Jesus. Because He was born we don't have to walk this life alone. He rescued us! We are able to live in peace and with hope for the future.  This is such good news and I want everyone to know. My heart longs for those who are empty and alone to know He is running towards them and to accept His embrace.


My 2 year old is discovering Jesus for the first time and it has been absolutely breathtaking to watch.  He has taken such precious care of "Bible Jesus". All the animals and people have kissed and hugged on the baby. He is worshiped indeed.


I know this post is long. I could go on and on sharing about this magical season.  I do want to leave one more treasure for you to enjoy. My boys have the most incredible children's pastor. She is a gift to us that I know will impact my boys for their entire lives.  She worked so hard to create this magic and I want to share it with you. Please take the time to watch this video. 






Merry Christmas my friend! I love you!!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts